Loloman started out as Ward’s pen name. Under this name, he wrote a few grim short stories (62)-(63)-(64)-(65). Ward turned the leftovers of his writings into poetry, which he read aloud into an old tape recorder, to then mix it with (white) noise (66). The Loloman character first pops up in an article from an old issue of National Geographic Magazine. In the story, he inspires the protagonist to make a mask. In order to give his music project a face–Ward was not keen on using his own–he recreated the big hairy forest beast with glowing red eyes from his stories. As such, he performed as the Loloman.
From 2019 to 2020, the Loloman also enjoyed a modest journalistic career. He produced a few short interviews for the website of Het Bos (76) and wrote a highly personal report on a Cocaine Piss concert:
Never been entirely on board with that affected singing and the constant naïve party mood they seem to feel. (67)
On the back of a collection of his texts (64) are the words below. They provide a nice summary of the alter ego and his prose style:
- (62) Loloman - Loloman (Danza de los negrito and De lange Jos). Self-published: Antwerp, 2018, number of copies unknown, technique: photocopy with cover on yellow paper.
- (63) Bitter Lemon — Loloman. Self-published: Antwerp, 2018, number of copies unknown, technique: photocopy.
- (64) Loloman — Loloman. Collection of all previous stories, plus two new ones (Koude Schotels (‘Cold dishes’) and Motherfuckall). Self-published: Antwerp, 2018, number of copies unknown, technique: photocopy with screen-printed cover in yellow on pink paper.
- (65) The Veils Of Darkness Are Covering My Rotten Corpse — Loloman. Self-published: Antwerp, 2019, number of copies unknown, technique: photocopy with cover on red paper and colour sticker.
- (66) Bobkat — Loloman. Self-published: Antwerp, 2019, number of copies unknown, technique: black audio cassette in yellow paper sleeve with insert on yellow paper.
- (67) Hoofdzaken, achtergrond: concertavond 22 november 2019 (‘Main points, background: evening concert November 22nd 2019’) — Loloman.
- (76) Het Bos ('The Forest') - experimental artistic incubator in Antwerp: 2014-present.